Campus Card


Seattle University Students, Faculty and Staff are provided with a versatile photo ID called a Campus Card.

Door Access

A Campus Card can be used to access buildings across campus (including student housing). It is also a library card and a UREC gym pass.

  • Students having trouble accessing their residence hall should contact Housing & Residence Life at

  • Faculty and Staff having trouble accessing spaces across campus should contact their supervisor or the Public Safety Keys Desk at

Meal Plans

You can also use it as a Meal Plan Debit Card at any on campus Redhawk Dining location.

Debit Card (One Card)

You may also add funds to your One Card debit account in the eAccounts web portal. Note that these funds may only be used for Printing.

Lost Card?

If you have lost your campus card, you can log into the eAccounts portal to deactivate your card.

To replace a lost card, visit Supercopy (PAVL 010). Hours are Monday – Friday, 8am–4pm. There is a $22.00 fee for a replacement card.

Online Photo Submission

All new and incoming students may submit a photo online for their Campus Card ID and have their card ready for them to pick up when they arrive on campus (PAVL 010 or for fall quarter start only, your residence hall front desk).

If you are a new student, check your SU email for an invitation from for more details and to click the button to Upload Your Photo.  Contact Service Desk at if you cannot find the invitation in your SU email or if you have any other questions.

Faculty and staff are not yet eligible for this program and will need to pay the card replacement fee of $22 to update a Campus Card photo. 

For more information, please see the main Campus Card page.

Need additional help? Submit a ticket with the Service Desk here: IT Service Desk Help Center

What can we help you find?

Related Services

Building Access
Meal Plan
One Card